Below you can view the list of the video formats that are support so videos can be played through Roku.
1. Uploading videos without encoding them (this feature is included in all accounts).
2. Encoding videos through Monster Encoder (optional, number of encodes based on monthly broadcasting subscription).
Note: Only videos encoded by Monster Encoder are supported. All other videos are considered Exploratory Development to troubleshoot. This is why we recommend to encode the videos that you want to publish on Roku.
1. Uploading videos without encoding them
The upload video should be formatted as H.264 and the audio formatted as LC-AAC. The video container should be MP4.
Roku Compatible Videos Properties:
- Container: MP4
- Video Format: H.264
- Audio Format: AAC
- Audio Format Profile: LC
- Audio Channels Number: 2
- Audio Sampling Rate: 44.1KHz or 48.0 KHz
The video encoding settings that we used for our demo content are:
- Bit rate: 1200 Kbps
- Bit rate mode: variable
- Format: H.264
- Frame rate: 24 FPS
- Display aspect ration : 16:9
The audio encoding settings that we used for our demo content are:
- bit rate: 128 Kbps
- bit rate mode: variable
- 2 channels
- sampling rate: 48.0 KHz
- Format: LC-AAC
2. Encoding videos through Monster Encoder
Usually the issue with videos is that it has MPEG-4 Part 2 (also known as MPEG-4 Visual) video formatting and not MPEG-4 Part 10 (also known as H.264 or AVC).
Some 3rd party encoded files are not compatible.
There can also be MP4 videos with H.264 video format and AAC audio format that cannot be played on Roku box. This is why we recommend to re-encode the files using 3rd party encoders or, more preferably, by using the Monster Encoder application to transcode your videos to MP4.
The Monster Encoder Common Video Types are:
- 3g2, 3gp, 3gp2, 3gpp, 3mm, 60d;
- aep, ajp, amv, asf, asx, avb, avi, avs;
- bik, bix, box, byu;
- camrec, cvc;
- d2v, d3v, dat, dce, dif, dir, divx, dmb, dpg, dv, dvr-ms, dvx, dxr;
- f4v, fcp, flc, fli, flv, flx;
- gl, grasp, gvi, gvp;
- ifo, imovieproj, imovieproject, ivf, ivr, ivs, izz, izzy;
- lsf, lsx;
- m1pg, m1v, m21, m2*, m2v, m4a, m4e, m4u, m4v, mjp, mkv, mod, moov, mov, movie, mp21, mp4, mp4v, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mp3, mpv2, mqv, msh, mswmm, mvb, mvc;
- par, pds, piv, playlist, pmf, pro, prproj, prx;
- qt, qtch, qtz;
- rm, rmvb, rp, rts, rts, rum;
- sbk, scm, scm, scn, sfvidcap, smil, smk, smv, spl, srt, ssm, str, svi, swi;
- tda3mt, tivo, tod, ts;
- vdo, veg, vf, vfw, vid, viewlet, viv, vivo, vob, vp6, vp7, vro;
- wcp, wm, wmd, wmv, wmx, wvx;